The header image is part of a photo of an auroral display taken from my backyard just outside Kirksville, MO on 8 November 2004.
(replace _at_ and _dot_ with the appropriate symbols)
Fun with Optics
Question: What is producing the difference between the left photos and the right photos? Although the two pairs of photos were taken years apart, the individual photos in each pair were taken within minutes of each other. The answer is at the bottom.
- xkcd (“A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language.”)
- Do you have what it takes to be a scientist? Find out here.
- Physics Educational Resources
- Information on Science and being a Scientist
- On Being A Scientist: Responsible Conduct In Research
- Responsible Science, Volume I
- Responsible Science, Volume II
Answer to question: The pictures on the left were photographed with a polarizing filter oriented to block vertically polarized light and the photo on the right had the filter oriented to block horizontally polarized light.